This weekend, we’ll be going to the city of Perak and learn how to make one of Ipoh’s well known dishes, Shredded Chicken Hor Fun, Kai Si Hor Fun.Ipoh friends out there, today’s your day!
This chinese-inspired dish is simply made out of simple ingredients like chicken, bean sprouts and many more and is paired with a rich umami broth that lingers around your tastebud.
Kai Si Hor Fun
- 360 g Hor Fun thin
- 8 nos prawns, deshelled and deveined
- 2 nos chicken thighs rubbed with salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 handful tauge
- few stalks chives cut into segments
- 1.3 l water
- Prawn heads and shells
- 20 g Dried Shrimps
- 20 g Anchovies
- 15 g Rock Sugar
- 1 Carrot
- Juice from steamed chicken
- few stalks Chives
- Start of by steaming the chicken in a steamer for 20 mins. Set the chicken juice aside to be combined with the stock. Shred the chicken into small pieces by hand.
- Set up a pot and heat up oil. Then fry the prawns heads and shells until it turns red. Add in all the stock ingredients. Boil for at least 1 hour 30 mins. Strain the stock.
- In another pot of oif boiling water, blanch the kuey teow for 5 seconds. Next blanch the prawns for 2-3 mins and finally the taugeh for 10-15 seconds.
- To serve, Place the kuey teow, prawns, beansprout, chives in a bowl, then pour in the soup. Sprinkle deep fried shallots and garlic on top.
Now, hopefully, you can create your own Kai Si Hor Fun dish with your loved ones.
Also, I cordially invite you to eat with us and learn more about all the Malaysian local foods recipes.
You may also like our previous video: Char Kuey Teow Recipe
You may also like our next video: Nasi Kerabu Recipe